Between 1948 and 1967, Jerusalem was divided in profound ways, with its core physically reorganized into a front line known popularly as the Green Line and formally as the 1949 Armistice Agreement. Later described by observers as a “cartographic monstrosity,”1 the crudely sketched line cut awkwardly through the city’s neighborhoods, leaving behind an irregular seam of barricades, observation posts, and fenced corridors where the two sides faced one another but remained out of reach.
The division ran through staircases, courtyards, shopfronts, and streets where children once played. Barbed wire replaced sidewalks. Sandbags leaned against stone houses. Snipers watched from rooftops. A zone designated almost accidentally by negotiators as “no-man’s-land” stretched through ancient courtyards and verdant villages, basically hugging the line where the western and eastern sides of Jerusalem touched, but also creating an enclave deep in the eastern side for Hebrew University and Hadassah Hospital, both Israeli institutions that remained on the side that fell to Jordan after the war. A city that had always folded into itself became two separate urban realities pressed against each other but forbidden from touching.

